- Associate Professor
- ECE Department, University of California, San Diego
- Affiliated with the CSE department, Bioinformatics, and Center for Microbiome Innovation.
I obtained my Ph.D. from the Computer Science department at UT-Austin and was advised by Prof. Tandy Warnow and Prof. Keshav Pingali. My Ph.D. research was supported by an NSERC PGS award and Howard Hughes Medical Institute international student fellowship. My dissertation won the honorable mention for the 2015 ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award. More recently, I have been a recipient of the 2017 Sloan Research Fellowship in Computational & Evolutionary Molecular Biology, the NSF CAREER award, and the MIRA award from NIGMS at NIH. I contribute to many international projects and am part of the counsil of the Vertebrate Genome Project.
I am not offended by any pronouncination of my name, so, don’t worry about it. If you wonder, here is how I pronounce it.
My research area is computational biology and my lab develops methods that target large-scale datasets. My specific areas of research span many topics, including, reconstruction of species trees from gene trees (phylogenomics), large-scale multiple sequence alignment, HIV transmission network reconstruction, and metagenomic analyses using phylogenetic approaches. Check out our publications page and look here for miscellaneous information. Here is my (hopefully up-to-date) CV.
Our lab prides itself in many tools developed by the lab. We strive to make these useful for biologists and often hold tutorials and workshops for providing training in the use of the tools. Some of these presentations are available here.
- Prospective students are generally discouraged from contacting me directly regarding admissions; those decisions are made by a committee in our department.
In rare circumstances, if you have done work that is very closely related to my work, you can write to me and bring that to my attention.
- Incoming and new students are encouraged to check out this page to learn about the background used in my work
- ECE students without sufficient programming background may find this page useful.
And my calendar:
Finally, a link to some useful material on our lab wiki.